Dangerous Foods for your Dog

Everyone knows the fear that you get as you’re chasing your dog around the living room, hoping that whatever is in their mouth isn’t bad for them. We’ve written a quick guide of the top dangerous foods for dogs and what signs you should look out for should they ingest some. Keep in mind, this is not an all-inclusive guide on toxins, if you want to find out more about toxins, be sure to check out the Pet Poison Healthline.

Chocolate

Chocolate may be delicious for us, but for dogs it can have very detrimental effects. It contains a chemical called “theobromine” which will cause seizures and other neurological effects. Your dog may also develop an abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia). Dark chocolate has the highest content of theobromine, whereas white chocolate has none.

Xylitol

Xylitol is used as a sugar substitute in a lot of human products, mainly gum and some toothpaste. Xylitol causes liver failure. If your dog ingests a xylitol-containing product, watch out for weakness, depression, collapse, vomiting, trembling and seizuring.

Grapes and Raisins

Raisins are more concentrated, so will be more toxic than grapes. Grapes and raisins affect the kidneys and cause kidney damage or failure. Signs you should look at for are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dehydration, and small amounts/no urine production.

Bones

Although bones aren’t toxic to dogs, they can cause obstructions or damage to intestines, which will be seen as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and constipation. If your dog’s gut is perforated, they may appear collapsed and it could be fatal.

High-Fat Foods

Very unhealthy for us, potentially life-threatening for dogs. If your dog gorges on a high fat meal, be sure to look out for signs of pancreatitis, for which the main sign is vomiting. Your dog may also have diarrhea, a hunched back, be more lethargic and have a painful and distended abdomen.

Onions, Chives and Garlic

Onions, chives and garlic are another food your dogs should not be fed. Ingestion of these can cause haemolytic anaemia, which can present as pale gums, and pigmenturia (discolored urine). They may also salivate more and have some vomiting and diarrhea. Signs of ingestion can happen up to a few days later, so keep an eye on your dog in the long-run.

If you think your dog has eaten any of these, make sure to call your vet or take them to your vet immediately. Felcana’s upcoming chat-based, instant telemedicineservice will also be able to help you triage your dog to identify if and what toxin they ingested.  Treatment will depend on what your dog has eaten and quick management is essential in a lot of toxin cases.

This post was written by Melody Winterhalter from The Royal Veterinary College, London.

Will you be travelling with your pet?  Read our recommendations.